Anthony Rendon of the Los Angeles Angels has decided to withdraw his appeal after Major League Baseball cut his ban to four games for a fight with a spectator last week.
Rendon stated before the Angels began their series in Seattle on Monday night that the league had decided to lower his ban from five to four games. MLB senior vice president Michael Hill issued the original five-game ban early Monday, and Rendon immediately filed an appeal.
Rendon’s ban will commence with the game on Monday and will last the full series against Seattle.
“It stinks. My feelings had the upper hand. I typically do well when it comes to engaging with followers. Rendon said in his first remarks about the episode, “I always like to chirp back at them, kind of have fun with it.”
After Thursday night’s 2-1 defeat to Oakland, Rendon seized a spectator by the shirt through the bleacher guardrails. Rendon appears to have grasped the fan’s shirt near his torso through the railing’s bars and spoken with him before taking a slash at the bill of the man’s ballcap and going into the passageway.
A video showed the supporter, clad in A’s gear, approaching the barrier as Rendon approached from the underground pathway below. Rendon takes the man’s clothing and questions him what he just said, accusing the supporter of using a pejorative word to describe him before grabbing at his ballcap.
Rendon stated that he spoke with the admirer earlier in the day on the phone.
“We both apologised for what had occurred. “We’re both eager to get started,” Rendon said.
Rendon was named in the Angels’ roster on Monday night before choosing to commence his ban once it was shortened. He’ll also miss the Angels’ home debut against the Toronto Blue Jays.
With Rendon out, Luis Rengifo shifted into the starting order, and Gio Urshela moved to third base.
“He’s a fantastic leader on our team.” “He accepted responsibility as any good leader and person would, and we’re moving on,” Angels manager Phil Nevin said.