According to a post on her Instagram account, an Iranian female climber who competed with her hair exposed did so because her scarf “accidentally” slipped off.
Those against Iran’s dress code applauded Elnaz Rekabi, 33, after video of her breaking it during the Asian Championships in South Korea surfaced.
Friends were unable to get in touch with her, according to a Monday report from BBC Persian.
On Tuesday, she apologised for “making everyone scared” in an Instagram post and said that she was leaving for home.
My head covering unintentionally fell off due to poor timing and the sudden need for me to mount the wall, it said.
She was returning to Iran “with the team according on the pre-arranged schedule,” the tweet continued.
She adds that other Iranian women who have competed overseas without a headscarf in the past have said that Iranian officials pressured them to make such explanations. Some of them made the decision not to return to Iran.
Women in the nation are required to cover their arms and legs with loose clothing and their hair with a hijab. When they are formally representing Iran in tournaments overseas, female athletes must likewise comply by the clothing code.
Earlier, Ms. Rekabi was reported to have left Seoul for Iran on Tuesday morning by the Iranian embassy in South Korea. Additionally, it vehemently refuted what it referred to as “all fake news, lies, and incorrect information” about her.
The Iranian Climbing Federation and Ms. Rekabi have been in communication, according to the International Federation of Sport Climbing (IFSC), which stated that it was “working to establish the facts.”
It further stated, “It is vital to emphasise that we place a high priority on athletes’ safety, and we support all attempts to keep a valuable member of our community safe in this circumstance. The IFSC expresses its full support for athletes’ rights, choices, and freedom of speech.
Ms. Rekabi departed her hotel in Seoul two days before her scheduled departure date, according to a source who spoke to BBC Persian on Monday. Her passport and cellphone were also seized, the source added. After she claimed to be with an Iranian official, she lost communication with her family and friends.
A photo that appeared to depict an Iranian international chess judge at the Women’s World Chess Championship in Shanghai two years ago claimed that she had received death threats.
Shohreh Bayat insisted that she had been covering her hair at the time with a loose headscarf, but after being advised that she might be arrested in Iran, she stopped doing so and applied for asylum in the UK.
Ms. Bayat said on Tuesday to BBC World News, “I had to choose my side since I was requested to post an apology on Instagram and to apologise publicly.”
“A list of tasks to do was presented to me. I was aware that I would be unable to forgive myself if I simply followed those things that I did not believe in and apologised for not donning a headscarf.”
When questioned about Elnaz Rekabi’s Instagram post, she responded as follows: “My opinion is that deeds speak louder than words. She also made a strong statement by forgoing the headscarf.”
Ms. Bayat has urged the international community to take action in reaction to Iran’s government’s deadly crackdown on statewide demonstrations against the country’s mandatory hijab legislation and the clerical establishment.
Mahsa Amini, 22, who had been detained by morality police in Tehran on September 13 for reportedly donning her headscarf too loosely, passed away while in detention, which led to demonstrations.
Police claimed she had a heart attack and refuted claims that she had been struck in the head with a baton.
The unabated use of force by security forces against protestors, as well as reports of arbitrary detentions and the killing and detention of children, gravely concerned the UN Human Rights Office on Tuesday.
According to some sources, up to 23 children may have been killed and numerous others may have been hurt in at least seven provinces by live bullets, close-range metal pellets, and lethal beatings, said spokesperson Ravina Shamdasani.
She continued by saying that security agents had also stormed other schools, detained students there, and detained several principals for refusing to cooperate.
According to Iran Human Rights, 215 people have been slain by security personnel. Authorities have denied killing nonviolent protesters and have placed the blame on “rioters” with foreign backing.
Photo Credits: https://www.shethepeople.tv/